Please use this blog to post your comments, reflections, responses, questions and ideas for each other, the class and me on The Help by Kathryn Stockett. If you are part of the Notebook group, please post nightly, according to the reading scheduled you've devised. Have fun, challenge yourselves and others and enjoy.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How I would feel in the Help's Position

If I was forced to work for people as my only source of work, and for spoiled rich people at that, I would go to jail. I have always been one to speak out and cause conflict, and I believe that if I was in the same position as these women, I wouldn't be free for very long (or lack there of). I wouldn't be able to take someone bossing me around in such a degrading way all the time, and it would be extremely hard for me to bite my tongue and just go along with it. Of course, if I had grown up with that as my life, then maybe my feelings would be different, but it is just such a hard thing to imagine being involved in. I can't comprehend how hard it must have been for those women to be talked down to and be forced to be treated like aliens.

Mallory <3

No comments:

Post a Comment