Please use this blog to post your comments, reflections, responses, questions and ideas for each other, the class and me on The Help by Kathryn Stockett. If you are part of the Notebook group, please post nightly, according to the reading scheduled you've devised. Have fun, challenge yourselves and others and enjoy.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

If I were in their shoes- Laura


If I were a black maid living in Mississippi in the early 1960’s, I would feel completely mistreated. I would not like having someone treat me horribly and value me lesser as a person just for the reason I had a different skin color. I cannot imagine, waking up every morning and having to deal with the things that these maids did. Even though I come off passive to most people, when I want to, I can speak my mind. If I strongly do not agree on how a situation is being handled, I will most definitely speak up. In the 1960’s though, I do not know if I would have the courage to speak up. I would think too much would be on the line. I would not want to lose my job. If I had children, I would want to be able to provide for them. That is not possibility if you were fired because of an altercation with someone in the white household.  I think I would try to get a better life for myself, probably move from the south to where I could have a better job that came with more respect.



No comments:

Post a Comment