Please use this blog to post your comments, reflections, responses, questions and ideas for each other, the class and me on The Help by Kathryn Stockett. If you are part of the Notebook group, please post nightly, according to the reading scheduled you've devised. Have fun, challenge yourselves and others and enjoy.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How i Would Feel in "The Help's" Position

Because I am so used to the easy ways of 21st Century life, I do not know
how I would survive being in the maids' shoes in 1962 in Mississippi.
Segregation plays such a huge role that i did not even fully understand until
reading this book. While reading it, i could not have imagined going through
what the help has gone through. One thing that stuck out to me the most was that
most of the white ladies with maids do not treat them with any respect. White
and black people cannot share the same bathroom, let alone live under the same
conditions and go to to the same public places. Even though the only difference
is the color of their skin, they cannot stand being with people of the other
race. If i was ever a maid, i would probably be just like Minny. When she feels
it is neccessary, she talks back to her employers and speaks her mind. I would
not be the kind of maid to sit back and take all of the unneccessary criticism
from the people i work for. Not only would i try to speak my mind, i would also
try to work with people like Skeeter who wants to overrule the ridiculous rules
in society. I am extremely grateful that this was before my time, and that
segregation is not NEARLY as bad as it was about 50 years ago. It simply was not
fair to treat anyone like the help was treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment