Please use this blog to post your comments, reflections, responses, questions and ideas for each other, the class and me on The Help by Kathryn Stockett. If you are part of the Notebook group, please post nightly, according to the reading scheduled you've devised. Have fun, challenge yourselves and others and enjoy.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

If I Were A Maid

If I were a maid living in the deep country of Mississippi, things would be very different.  Unlike Aibileen, I wouldn't stay quiet at all. I would do all that I could to make Mrs. Leefolt realize what she's missing in her own daughter.  I also would speak up about the building of an entirely separate bathroom for colored people, not rudely the way that Minny does, but in a respectful manner.  The ignorance that black people carry diseases completely different from white people would not be tolerated.  In the world that I live in now, I would get significantly more offended by the things that people say from that time period.  I would also realize the importance of education and do all that I could to break away from "the help business" and try to create a better life for myself and my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment