Please use this blog to post your comments, reflections, responses, questions and ideas for each other, the class and me on The Help by Kathryn Stockett. If you are part of the Notebook group, please post nightly, according to the reading scheduled you've devised. Have fun, challenge yourselves and others and enjoy.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

If I Were in Their Shoes


If I was a black maid during that time period, it would be a completely different life compared to the one I have now. I am sure that if I lived in that time, I would often feel very frustrated. Not only because people were judging me based on the color of my skin, but the fact that they had so little respect for us. However, throughout all of this hatred towards my race, I would try not to let it get to me. Instead of hurting them because they hurt me, I would try to make a change for everyone by voicing my opinions and thoughts. In my opinion, I believe it is far more honorable to go to jail for taking a stand rather than going there because I had used violence against others. If I were in Aibileen's position, I would have spoken up more rather than staying quiet and agreeing to what other people said. One prominent example in the story was when a separate bathroom was being built for her. Instead of speaking up about how unfair it was, she stayed quiet about the matter. If I were in this situation, I would have definitely said something about that. Though it is not usually in my character to be outspoken, for an issue as significant as racism I would make sure I had my voice heard.





No comments:

Post a Comment